Running in the morning … it’s not everyone’s favorite. Many of us like to use our early morning time for snoozing a bit longer. Waiting till the sweet smell of coffee finds its way from the kitchen and nestles on our pillow.
If you are a bit like me you need very good reasons to run, especially if as early as before breakfast. As Macbeth put it, sleep is the “chief nourisher in life’s great feast”. Who are we to disagree with Shakespeare’s Macbeth? Yes, let’s sleep a bit longer. Warm, nourishing sleep. And yet …
If you’ve read any essays on Macbeth, let me know if Macbeth knew that sleep helps a great deal to be healthier and fit. Sleep refreshes our physical, but also our mental strength. A fresh mind helps to study better. But to have a good deep sleep we need exercise. If we spend all day before our screens, sitting at our desks, we will experience trouble falling asleep, and enjoy a deep enough sleep. So, it’s a perfect vicious circle. There is no escaping exercising!
Why running is a good exercise
Of all the exercises that exist, do we need to go running? Sure. And this is why:
- It was cheap. All you need is a pair of running shoes. No need for a membership card, a trainer, or a coach, …
- It’s timeless. This means, that there is no designated time needed. You can run at any time of the day. No need to book appointments. And running is as old as mankind. So it’s timeless in both senses of the word.
- It’s healthy. Yes, most sports are healthy, true. But when out running your only competition is you. So, you can adjust your running speed, efforts, and distance, to what you are capable of. This sport you can control totally. Don’t force yourself.
- It’s historical. Besides wrestling, it’s hard to think of a sport that captures the imagination more than running. It comes with an Olympic aura and; champions feel to it. Okay, maybe not the time to get carried away…
Yet, running is pure fun. Many runners stick to an enjoyable pace. The turtles are jogging. Still running though. It’s no race!
Great. So we all decided to start running. So, why is it a good idea to do your running in the morning, before you open your study books? Let’s look at 7 reasons that would make the bard proud…
7 Reasons To Go For Your Early Morning Run
Getting up early and starting your day actively, will have an impact on your day nothing much can compare to. It will ensure you start your day in the best possible way AND end your day with a clean conscience. Now, that sounded a bit Shakespearean, no?
- Coffee. No, running is not coffee, but it replaces your cup of caffeine. If you’re one of those people that need a shot of adrenaline to wake up and get all fired up, then running is the ultimate adrenaline injection. Well, let’s face it, everybody is like that to some degree.
- The streets of… Might be San Francisco. But if you don’t live there, then the streets of your city will be yours and yours only. Unless millions of running enthusiasts read this and take the same advice ... you will be relatively alone on the road. Imagine the sun rising. Empty roads. You and nothing much more… How relaxing!
- Clarity. Your brain opens up when you run in nature. That’s what nature does for you.
- Happiness. Sports and any kind of healthy activity stimulate the body cells to produce serotonin. This chemical fights off depression and anxiety. The right serotonin wakes you up. Can you think of a better way to start your day?
- Science. It’s scientifically proven running activates the part of your brain that is responsible for going for your goals. In other words, you get wired to execute your plans with confidence. Just don’t execute your friends, alright?
- Easy study. Needless to say that the previous reason will also make studying easier because you can focus better. Logical.
- A deeper sleep. You get your energy boost early, and you spend it during your study day or working day. By the time it’s evening, you feel pleasantly tired. And the circle is round. We are back to The Tragedy of Macbeth. Why a tragedy? Didn’t Shakespeare write: “Sleep that knits up the ravell’d sleeve of care, The death of each day’s life, sore labor’s bath, …”. Sadly, for Macbeth sleeping wasn’t the death of his day. It was his thirst for power and a killing spree that lead to very literal death. But before you dive into Macbeth papers, or start looking for Macbeth essay ideas, go for an early morning run!
After a list like this, it’s easy to come up with many more reasons. Reasons that are scientific, poetic, cinematic, and literary. It's an endless list, left at the mercy of your imagination.
Or even a selfish reason. Why not? Me-time before the world is awake. Collecting your thoughts, waking up with the sound of your footsteps, and breathing only. A peaceful way to start the day indeed.
Reaching the Finishing Line
Whether you are a fan of the ancients, the great bard, Tarantino, or neither of them, you will agree running in the early hours of the day will improve your study performance. We’ve seen why that is. Running is one of the most natural sports. It’s instinctive. You do it with your own two legs. Running is intuitive. It doesn’t take much to get a human being to run. There is no need to force yourself. Your mind is free to wander around. This is the perfect activity to start your day with.
The combination of readiness and relaxation is what explains the effectiveness of an early morning run. And before you do anything else!