Conventional beauty creams manufacturers load their products with unnecessary additives in order to decrease production price, improve appearance, and extend shelf-life of the products. Of cause, market is loaded now with many natural options. But majority of them are pricey and still packed in plastic tube or jar, which rather end up on the junkyard than be recycled.
There is no reason to buy even a natural hand and feet cream, when you can make your own.
Pros of home-made cream: it’s natural, sustainable, made for your specific needs. And to make one you won’t spend more time than you would spend to buy one.
I called this recipe hand and feet cream, because it’s too heavy to use as face cream (besides when you go outside for winter activities like skiing; in this case this cream will give you a good protection from frost bites). But you can use it for any part of your or your baby’s body: it’s great for stretch marks (Shea butter is a proven remedy to help with that) and can significantly improve dry skin conditions caused by bacterial and fungal infections (due to raw coconut oil presence and with the help of particular essential oils).
- 4 part Raw Shea butter
- 3 part Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- ½ part Almond oil (or other liquid oil like jojoba or castor oil)
- Essential oils of your choice (use only 100% pure therapeutic grade essential oils)
- Put all ingredients in a heat resistant bowl and melt them on the stove in the oven or on water bath (the best way). Stir often.
- Let it cool, so it’s not hot.
- Add essential oils of your choice. Be sure to use pure therapeutic grade essential oils.
- Pour in an empty cream jar or a little mason jar
- Let it to solidify and begin to use every day or several times per day, no harm
If you allergic to coconut you can skip it in the recipe and go with doubled amounts of Shea butter. If you allergic to almond use other liquid oils used in cosmetics, like jojoba, castor oil and virgin olive oil (if you ok with the scent).
A word about essential oils
Double or triple of what you get from this cream recipe by adding essential oils which meet the best your needs. Think what you need the most right now: like boost in the mood, improvement of particular health condition or an immune system kick, and search web which essential oils can help with that.
But always trust your nose, if you like particular scent (even without knowing benefits of this oil), that will be the most beneficial aroma choice for you.
And remember not all essential oils are safe for babies. Some good choices are lavender, clary sage and frankincense essential oils.
Have you ever made beauty products at home before, share your experience below.