An electric toothbrush can keep your teeth and gums healthier because the rotating head has bristles that can reach further due to the combination of motion and equal pressure from the brush itself.
It also makes for longer, more thorough teeth cleaning to fight against cavities and gingivitis, something your dentist in Wilkes Barre, PA, or just about anywhere else will tell you, which is probably why so many of us use them. In fact, the latest statistics reveal that nearly 119 million Americans used an electric toothbrush in 2023.
If you’re looking for a new one, you’ve got a lot of choices out there, but here we review the three very best.
Best Electric Toothbrush for Receding Gums According to Dentists
Oral B Pro 1000 - Best Affordable Electric Toothbrush
The Oral B Pro 1000 is a basic, affordable electric toothbrush that gets the job done.
Dentists like it for its circumferential action on the surface of the tooth. It has a special sensor that will let you know if you brush too aggressively. Every 30 seconds, the timer will pulse, pressure sensor lets you know that it’s time to brush your head to the next section of your mouth (oral care and gum care).
It works with nine different brush heads, so you can choose the one you need, whether you want to focus on gum cleaning, whitening, having sensitive teeth and gums, or other issues.
Philips Sonicare Flexcare Plus Sonic Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush
The Philips Sonicare toothbrush provides one of the most effective and gentlest cleanings out there. It oscillates back and forth, running at a frequency of 20,000 cycles per second, much faster than one could do manually.
It has such a high frequency that it creates a “cavitational” force, blasting plaque off without actually coming in contact with the tooth.
It also comes with various brush heads to attack different issues and has a built-in quadrant timer. Plus, the toothbrush is very lightweight, which makes it easier to brush longer because your arm is unlikely to become fatigued.
Can Electric Toothbrush Damage Gums?
The best electric toothbrushes are an innovative invention in the domain of dentistry but is it really worth the hype? The electric toothbrush helps to clean the teeth while reducing the likelihood of developing gum diseases and gingivitis. This is because one manual toothbrush just can’t clean a mouth of different textures and flavors that humans have. These differences include bacteria and plaque and any kind of foods that a human may consume along with chewing. When a toothbrush continuously vibrates on different areas of a person’s teeth, it actually triggers the production of heat which can’t be avoided. This heat, as it is known, helps to loosen plaque or bacteria from the teeth. An electric toothbrush also works on a very small area of a tooth so brushing everything off at once is useless. Electronic toothbrushes are only used for just the teeth they were designed for.
Philips Sonicare DiamondClean
If you’re looking for the ultimate high-tech brush, this one can’t be beaten. The Philips Sonicare DiamondClean has brush heads that contain microchips that tell the handle which one you’re using.
That sleek black handle then automatically adjusts the intensity and cleaning mode to match, which means you don’t even have to think about it.
It has sonic wave technology, vibrating at up to 31,000 brush strokes every minute, with a variety of cleaning modes that enhance the brushing experience through Bluetooth capability. And, it even has an interactive application that helps you track brushing habits, maintain the right brushing technique, and know when it’s time to order replacement brush heads.
If you’re pressing too hard when you brush, the built-in sensor will alert you.
This toothbrush also comes with a charging travel case, charging glass, tongue brush, and three brush heads. It’s ideal for frequent travelers who want to be able to easily bring a good quality electric toothbrush that’s portable and convenient to use on the go, holding a charge for up to 14 days.
Are Electric Toothbrushes Good for Sensitive Gums?
Electric toothbrushes can indeed be beneficial for individuals with sensitive gums. These high-tech oral care devices offer several advantages that can contribute to improved gum health. To understand why electric toothbrushes are a good choice for sensitive gums, it's essential to delve into the science behind their effectiveness.
- Gentle but Effective Cleaning: Electric toothbrushes often come with various brush head options, including those specifically designed for sensitive gums. These brush heads feature softer bristles and advanced technology that minimizes pressure on the gums while still effectively removing plaque and bacteria from teeth. This gentler approach can reduce the risk of gum irritation and bleeding.
- Consistent Brushing Technique: One of the key benefits of electric toothbrushes is their ability to maintain a consistent brushing technique. Many models come with built-in timers and pressure sensors, ensuring that users brush for the recommended two minutes and apply the appropriate amount of pressure. This consistency minimizes the risk of overbrushing, which is a common cause of gum sensitivity.
- Oscillating or Rotating Brush Heads: Some electric toothbrushes use oscillating or rotating brush heads, which are particularly effective at removing plaque and debris from the gumline and between teeth. This targeted cleaning can reduce the risk of inflammation and gum disease, which is crucial for those with sensitive gums.
- Reduced Effort Required: Electric toothbrushes do most of the brushing work for you, thanks to their powerful motor. This reduces the effort and force you need to apply while brushing. For individuals with sensitive gums, this can significantly decrease the risk of causing irritation or damage to the gum tissue.
- Improved Plaque Removal: Electric toothbrushes are generally more effective at plaque removal than manual toothbrushes. Removing plaque is vital for gum health, as plaque buildup can lead to gingivitis and more severe gum issues. By maintaining better oral hygiene with an electric toothbrush, individuals with sensitive gums can minimize the risk of gum problems.
In conclusion, electric toothbrushes are a great choice for individuals with sensitive gums. Their gentle yet effective cleaning, consistent brushing technique, specialized brush head options, and reduced effort required for brushing all contribute to improved gum health. Scientifically, these benefits are well-documented and make electric toothbrushes a valuable tool in managing and preventing gum sensitivity and related issues. However, it's essential to consult with a dentist or dental professional to determine the best oral care routine for your specific needs.